tips for a successful Engagement Session
I LOVE engagement sessions. When you book your wedding with Victoria Elizabeth Photography, we'll start planning your engagement session (if you choose to do one). These are designed to let us get to know each other before the wedding day. This will also help you get comfortable being in front of the camera! Plus, after your session, you will have beautiful images to use for Save the Dates, a guest book at your wedding, or to put in frames to decorate the tables at your reception.
BEFORE YOUR SESSION
- Ladies, be sure to have your ring cleaned + polished for your session. I love to take rings shots :)
- Remember to get your nails done! I always hear "I didn't think to get my nails done." Your hands will be in the photos, so treat yourself to a manicure!
- A week or so before, lay out your outfit ideas, snap pictures, then send them to me! I will help make sure you pick the most flattering clothes for your session :)
- I always recommend having your hair and makeup done professionally. This is definitely not required. If you are doing it yourself, be sure to apply enough makeup so you don't look washed out - but not too much to where you don't look like yourself! There are some great tutorials on Pinterest.
WHAT TO WEAR
- Coordinate, but don't match! You want your outfits to look cohesive, not the exact same. Try mixing colors, patterns, and textures to create fun outfits that work well together.
- I highly suggest 2 outfits - one casual + one that's more dressy. White or pastel colored dresses are my favorite for the bride :)
- Layer, layer, layer! Layers can be a great way to add dimension and personality. Wearing a dress? Try adding on a colorful cardigan! Add a pop of color by wearing a cami underneath a button up shirt.
- Avoid articles of clothing with logos. These can date the image. Go for classic pieces that will create a timeless look!
- Don't be afraid to add color and patterns. However, neon or too bright of colors do not photograph well and can cause color casts. Pastels, bright jewel colors, and patterns look great on camera. Try to avoid black (you can get away with it sometimes for engagement sessions). Instead, try a charcoal gray or navy. Personally, I LOVE pinks, whites, and blues in photographs!
- Make sure you are comfortable! If you do not feel great in your clothes, it will show in the photos. Pick your favorite outfit to wear...something you feel like you in!
- Check Pinterest for inspiration! It is filled with tips on how to pair outfits and examples! HERE is some ideas.
Want a new outfit? Try these stores:
Anthropologie (personal favorite!), The Loft, GAP, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Target, J Crew